Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What should I do?

Ok....so sometimes being a physician stinks because I know too much. Here's what's going on:

I have mitral valve prolapse and pulmonic stenosis--diagnosed 4 years ago but I've probably had these 2 murmurs my whole life. No biggie right?

Then over the last couple of weeks I have had more frequent heart palpitations. I've always been able to feel them every once in a blue moon but over the last couple of weeks they are much more frequent. I have to cough to make my chest feel better. They usually take place when I am sitting around. I feel like they could be due to stress because as my last 2 entries have indicated---I have been stressed.

Now I'm not so stressed. I have a new puppy! The volunteer project is over! Things are being checked off my list. But I still feel the palpitations.

Now most palpitations are normal....I am a doctor and I know this but I can't get out of my head the risk factors I have for something more serious:

1. my MVP and PS
2. my recent gum infection
3. my recent joint pain

All of these together can indicate something much more serious--endocarditis. An infection of the heart valve. But I don't have fever so I think I am fine....but what if???

So now I feel like I should call my doctor but I don't want to look stupid. I've also been losing a lot of hair lately--could this be stress too or something like hypo/hyperthyroidism???

Aaaargh. I can't stop thinking about it. And it's probably just stress. If I call it will make me feel better either way....so I should just do that. I am human, not superhuman.

No comments: